Monday, November 17, 2008

Extraordinary Christmas Gifts

By CD Mohatta

With a little imagination you can give a gift that will be remembered fondly, and it can be as much fun for you as for them.

When I was a little girl I woke up Christmas morning to the largest package I'd ever seen! Usually I would save the best package for last, but my parents told me I had to open it first. I opened it and my grown up brother popped out, home for a visit! He was not expected this year, so it was a special treat.

One year I gave a hand made certificate to my in-laws for breakfast in bed. Of all the material gifts they received, some very expensive, this was the one that gave them excitement! The day after Christmas at the appointed time, I made a lovely breakfast and put it on a tray with good china, linen napkins, a fresh newspaper, and flowers, and knocked on their bedroom door.

One of the best gifts I've ever received was for my tuition to be paid to take a workshop with my friend. She signed us up to learn Reiki, which is a skill I value having today, and I have the lovely memory of our taking a workshop together.

You can do something very fun or romantic if there has been fresh snow. Find a nice area of unmarked snow, and stomp a message in it and then take your spouse or friend for a walk to it. If you make the message personal, they will be very surprised to see it is for them.

Another wonderful gift to give is simply to take care of a problem a friend or family member has been having. This is a particularly nice gift to give to the elderly. You can repair a dishwashing machine, do yard clean-up, or offer your services for a couple hours each weekend for a month.

If you know the person well, it can be fun to arrange for an experience they, or both of you, have never had. This could include white water river rafting, sailing in a balloon, race car driving, a wine tour, a day at a spa, or local tours.

No comments: